Post Pandemic Return
Stoneyford Active Retirement Group (S.A.R.G.) is a very active, vibrant group of retirees. It is open to all members of the wider community who are over the age of 50. The meeting hall is easily accessable to all members, regardless of their level of mobility and it is wheel-chair friendly. Where ever possible, members mobility is considered when planning activities/trips. There is a small membership fee to cover the cost of insurance and hall rental for meetings.
stoneyford.ie Click on Activities/SARG and click on Recipes for delicious recipes. stoneyford.ie and click on Poetry Page to read poetry composed by our members or click on Calendars to see details of all activities in the hall.
• Monthly Meetings, including tea/coffee. First Wednesday of the month at 2.30 in the Community Centre.
• Library. This is in the Community Centre and was set up and is maintained by SARG members. Feel free to take/leave books. Open any time the Centre is open.
• 10 Pin Bowling. Every second Thursday morning (11.30) in K Bowl in Kilkenny. €7.00 for one hour and includes tea/coffee and biscuits. No need to book, just turn up.
• Cards ‘25’. Every second Thursday afternoon (2.30) in the Community Centre. Cost €2 per person hall rental, plus €2 to play.
• Fit Club (Keep Fit for the over 50’s) with Seamus Nugent. Every Wednesday night at 7.00 in the Community Centre. Cost €7.00.
• Computer Classes. Tuesday mornings (10.00 – 11.30 or 11.30 – 1.00) in the Community Centre with Paul Nolan (free).
• Short Mat Bowling. SARG and SDA have recently acquired mats, bowls, etc. for this and it will be up and running shortly for all members of the community.
• Annual Holiday. Price includes transport and 5 days/4 night’s accommodation on a B/B basis and an evening meal in the hotel, plus bus transport and tours. Previous holidays were to West Cork, Donegal, Belfast.
• Day Trips. Travel by bus, train or car. Lunch included.
• Annual Lunch, held in January. Includes 2/3 course meal in a hotel/restaurant in Kilkenny.
• Ideas for any other activities are always welcome.
Below is a list of classes run by Carlow/Kilkenny Education and Training Board that we can avail of.
• Flower Arranging.
• Seated Dance/seated exercise.
• Creative writing.
• Fitness and Nutrition.
• Mindfulness/Stress Management.
• Basket Making.
• Biodiversity Gardening.
• Art – Wall Mural.
• Dress Making/Sewing/Crafts.
The classes are free, but we have to make a contribution for the hall rental. Also, if materials are required, we have to provide them ourselves. The classes generally run for around 6 weeks. Depending on numbers, any of the above can be arranged.