Carrickshock G.A.A. 26 Meitheamh 2016

Carrickshock 2-11 Mooncoin 1-14

The Carrickshock/ Mooncoin encounter finished in a draw on Sunday morning. Kieran Conway showed Robbie Brady how it’s done with 2 second-half goals! Draw was a fair result in the end.

The spoils were fairly divided at the end of this Junior A Championship League encounter in Hugginstown on Sunday morning. An even start left the teams at 0-3 each after 10 minutes before Damien Walsh fired over a fine point to put Carrickshock in front for the first time. But some shaky defending at the other end resulted in a tally of 4 first-half 65s for Mooncoin. Kieran Dunphy gladly accepted the invitations, converting 3 of them in a row midway through the half to leave the sides level at 0-5 each. A hamstring injury to Shane Power forced a reshuffle for Carrickshock with Ciaran Lennon coming in at centre-back. The remainder of the half was end to end, but Mooncoin were more efficient in front of the posts and went in 0-10 to 0-5 in front at half-time. Carrickshock started the 2nd half very brightly – Darragh Brennan’s pace was starting to cause problems. He won a free in the 1st minute. When he was on the end of a perfect cross-field ball from Aaron O’Neill after 10 minutes, it left the minimum between them, 0-10 to 0-9. But their revival was halted a minute later – a mix-up in the defence left Kieran Dunphy through on goal and he made no mistake, 1-10 to 0-9. Steady rain made conditions wet, defences started to get on top and scores dried up for a while. Richie Frisby at full back made a couple of storming runs out of the Carrickshock defence. One earned a free that David Franks’ delivered to the edge of the square. Kieran Conway doubled in the air to give the goalie no chance. That left the minimum between them with 10 minutes left. A couple of Mooncoin points, one of them a great long range effort by Patrick Kinsella, seemed to give them a cushion. But John Butler, now operating around the half-forward line, was combining well with David Franks and took a couple of great scores to keep Carrickshock in touch.  When Mark Fitzgerald pointed a free from distance with a couple of minutes left, Mooncoin appeared to have done enough. But Carrickshock kept battling. That man Kieran Conway pounced on a loose ball and picked his spot in the corner of the net. It was to be the final score, 2-11 to 1-14.

Carrickshock: Aaron Roche, Rory Doyle, Richie Frisby, Chris Price, Dylan Halligan, David Franks (0-3 Frees), Seamus Millea, Aaron O’Neill, Liam Walsh, Damien Walsh (0-1), Shane Power, Kieran Conway (2-0), Sean Grace (0-1), John Butler (0-3), Darragh Brennan (0-3). Subs – Ciarán Lennon (for Shane Power 15 min), Sean Gibbons (for Sean Grace 53 min), Darragh Doyle, David Moore.

Mooncoin: Niall O’Hanlon, Benny Mackey, Richard Mackey, Ciarán Walsh, Eoin Crowley, Cormac Daly, Seamus Kearns, Mark Fitzgerald (0-2, 0-1 Free), Patrick Kinsella (0-1), Keith Kirwan (0-1), Pádraig Walsh, Kieran Dunphy (1-9, 0-3 Frees, 0-4 65’s), Eric Wall, Sean Walsh, JP Purcell (0-1). Subs – Mark Kerins (for JP Purcell 55 min) Aidan Holden, Johnny Phelan.

Under 14 Hurling

Good luck to the Under-14s – they meet James Stephens on Monday night (27th). It’s the League Semi-Final, so let’s hope the boys can repeat their recent league win over the same opposition.

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *